I have been eating variety of ice creams since i was a small kid and till now i have tried a lot of icecreams,among them all my favourite i cream is Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream.I have tried this icecream flavour in most of the multi cousine restaurants and today i am trying this self made mint chocolate chip ice cream recipe at home.The recipe of this dish is very easy to make at home with seven ingredients like cream, mint flavoring and chopped chocolate in your ice cream maker. Make this homemade ice cream recipe with natural flavors and avoid all the artificial flavors and preservatives. There is nothing better than fresh homemade ice cream.
Ingredients for self made mint chocolate chip icecream recipe
This ice cream is a peppermint ice cream base mixed with chocolate chips or chunks.This ice cream can be more tastier after adding some leaves of green mint.I would definately ask you to add them into the icecream recipe to get the color greenish and get some mint type taste.Here is what you’ll need for this self made mint chocolate chip ice cream recipe.
- 1 cup of milk
- 3 cups of fresh spearmint leaves well washed,only leaves not the stem part needed.
- 2/3 cups of sugar or according to taste
- 2 cups of heavy cream scoops
- 6 to 7 large size egg yolks
- 6 chocolate or dark chocolate,well chopped
- 2 teaspoons neutral-flavored oil
If you are trying Self Made Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Recipe at home than the main equipment that is most needed is icecream maker,the only one way of making real pure and good icecream at home.There are two types of icecream makers in the market
Automatic icecream maker
Freezer bowl icecream maker
Process of Self Made Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Recipe
lets start making this recipe, first you make a custerd mix it well in icecream maker than freeze the custerd paste in freezer to get the texture
Further steps needed:
- In a medium saucepan, slowly whisk the cornstarch into 1 cup cold whole milk, then whisk in the sugar. Apply medium heat and heat for 4 to 6 minutes, whisking frequently, until nearly simmering and the mixture thickens.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in the remaining ½ cup whole milk, heavy cream, salt, peppermint extract, vanilla extract, and green food coloring.
- Transfer the mixture to a large metal or glass bowl. Place the bowl in a smaller bowl of ice water for 1 hour, making sure not to splash any water into the ice cream. Alternatively, simply place the bowl in the refrigerator and wait for 3 to 4 hours or until the temperature drops down.
- Stir according to your ice cream maker instructions, about 25 minutes for soft serve consistency.
- After stiring is done place the chocolate chips and oil in a dry glass measuring cup or bowl.Melt the chocolate on the stove on a double boiler,remove it from the heat just when the larger bits of chocolate melt.
- Transfer the churned ice cream into the another container,spray some chocolate over the surface of churned icecream and wait for few minutes until it gets some harder ,with the help of spoon stir the chocolate into the icecream.Repeat this process for 5 to 6 times,so that the whole amount of chocolates gets seperated.
- Place the container in the freezer and freeze the recipe for the 2 hours so to get a good and hard texture.
- For more taste use mint extract and not peppermint extract,so as to get a natural taste and feel.It may be a little harder to find but it really does make a huge difference. Mint extract is a mixture or spearmint and peppermint while peppermint extract is just peppermint.
- This ice cream will need to churn for about 25-35 minutes however you need to check on it after 25 minutes because it is possible to over churn ice cream.
- Must use a good quality of semisweet chocolate either dark chocolate or milk chocolate.Chop it very fine so the chocolate melts in your mouth
- Big chunks of chocolate are too hard to bite into when frozen so keep them smaller
- The food coloring is not a must but it does give it that familiar mint color that we are accustomed to.
QUES1:What kind of mint is in mint chocolate chip ice cream?
ANS:Spearmint,as it is a natural source of mint flavour and too it gives greenish color to the icecream
QUES2:Why is my mint chocolate chip ice cream white?
ANS:The color of mint chocolate chip ice cream is only added color. May it be white or bright green,the flavor comes from the quality of the ingredients used to make the ice cream.
QUES3:Does mint chocolate taste like toothpaste?
ANS:It’s just like two different tastes in one and not everyone has the same taste buds to enjoy that. Many students compare the taste of mint chocolate ice cream to toothpaste
QUES4:Why is mint chocolate so good?
ANS: Consumers love the richness of chocolate and the refreshing, cool feeling of mint. It’s the perfect flavor combination – and it seems consumers are especially crazy about dark chocolate and mint.